Monday, April 16, 2012

Class Commentary

I was very pleased to read my classmates article "The Care and Feeding of Puppies". I totally agree with the author on everything. Being the proud mother of a border collie, I have first hand experience with the "jubilant" reactions to my return and have spent a few hours coaxing during thunderstorms. 

I genuinely can NOT believe that in this day in age we're still arguing over rather or not guidelines on the welfare of animals is worth a few bucks. First of all, I agree entirely with Ms. Green about the laxation and lack of importance emphasized by these new guidelines on the size and flooring regulations. I have volunteered at a humane society before and let me tell you, an animal will have to position themselves JUST right to spin around and they can forget a good stretch. Also, if a puppy were to have an accident, escaping the mess is literally impossible. So he/she will be forced to stand in it until they're cleaned. Plus, doesn't that seem like a mandatory subject to discuss? 

Animals are not stupid (as Ms. Green also states!). Scientist have done studies suggesting that dogs can reach the intelligence level of a three year old child (I, personally, argue much older... my dog's intelligence seems to be beyond most 20 year olds). How many mothers would like to see their toddler sitting in their poop for hours? Hopefully not many. Then again, with hardly anyone even showing an interest in the welfare of furry companions, I'd be surprised.

I also think that breeding animals for profit is outrageous when there are several dogs at the humane society with their lives literally on the line. If there were standards to owning a pet, I think that the numbers of animals impounded would dramatically decrease. If someone actually had to put forth an effort to adopting a pet, this would automatically weed out the lazy scum who decide Lassie sheds too much and drop her off at the pound. Just an idea. I also have a few opinions on breeders, but I'm trying to keep this G rated. 

I think that the author could have gone into a LITTLE more depth on the article, but the emotion is definitely there and she has my support 100%. 

No comments:

Post a Comment